View Single Post
Old 10-13-2003, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3243. 5.0 (for now), 5-spd.
Not Ranked     

galaxy,

My early research on the subject led me to believe the the original Cobras, the 289 cars, were made in England by AC and shipped to Shelby in California for installatin of the power train.

Those cars had the AC badge and were known as "AC-Cobras".

When Shelby wanted to upgrade the car to to use the 427, and there were several reasons to do that, the Brits balked at putting that much power in the car, they said it is too much for the chassis. That is where the Shelby quote "Too Much Is Just Right" is said to have originated.

Shelby brought the majority of the manufacturing to California and modified the chassis to accept the big block with such upgrades as stronger material for the chassis, A-Frame coil spring front suspension, in lieu of the AC's transverse leaf spring, wider body to accept the bigger tires and a stronger transmission and rear end for the added power.

These cars had the Snake/Shelby badge and were known as "Shelby Cobras".

There are probably 289 Cobras out there with the Snake/Shelby badges but I believe that they were changed out after the development of the other badge that depicted the Shelby name.

Correction comments are welcomed.