View Single Post
Old 10-22-2003, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Neutral     

Oh, I have a great time driving this thing around Fresno. I take it to work pretty regularly...

About a week before the Monterey Historics, I'm sitting in a barber chair, when the door comes flying open--Dick Smith asking who owned the "beautiful" Cobra parked out front. He hadn't seen mine completed, even though he had been watching my motor being built next to his. Laughed his a$$ off when I spun around in the chair. Obviously made my day.

Last week, I'm at a stop light. Watched in my mirror as a Fresno Police cruiser pulled up in the next lane on my side. I kept looking straight ahead, keeping my foot off the loud pedal. Cop in the passenger side gets my attention and asks me to "rev it up". I'm thinking I'm gonna get a fixit ticket for the pipes (they're a bit loud). I blip the throttle. He yells: "I said rev it up!" I figure I'm burned, so I just slam it up several times. Looks me right in the eye and says: "Wonderful!" The light changed and they drove off.

A few days ago, three gents walked across a parking lot to oogle it while I went into a packaging store. I spent about ten minutes telling them about the car...they just loved the heck out of it. Then Bony walks up out of nowhere, pulls a wad of cash out of his pocket and stuffs a $20 in my shirt pocket. Says: "Here's some money, go to Earl Sheib and get the dam* thing painted!" and walks off.

Every day...the young kids and the old men, the truckers along the freeway, the golfers on the course all looking up as I come home...it's just one of those things in Americana that everyone seems to enjoy, and we are simply along for the ride.