Thread: Is it a Cobra?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2003, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Heading the 289FIA route, ERA is the choice du jour
Not Ranked     

These cars are Cobras much like you would refer to a fiberglass '34 Ford hot rod as a "'34 Ford". Nothing wrong with that.

That being said, my (retired) attorney father-in-law represented a guy (and won!) years ago who had purchased what he was told was a "Shelby Cobra." It turned out that the car was actually an original AC that had been "Shelby-ized" with Shelby American emblems. The seller lost the lawsuit, and the buyer got some of his money back from the purchase. Caveat emptor! Check the numbers; check the registry!

Hhhmmm, by the way, don't you think that tying a date to the name (such as saying, "It's a 1966 Shelby Cobra") somewhat misrepresents the car as an original Shelby Cobra, when the car is not from that era and also was not manufactured by Shelby American? Little wonder Shelby occasionally gets peeved...

To the curious onlooker, it's a "Cobra". To the serious inquisitor, it's a "[insert brand here] Cobra replica." This is especially helpful on Ebay and in classified ads, but is good for the manufacturer as well. If you love your car, get that manufacturer's name out there!

There are a number of Cobra replica brands (such as Kirkham, ERA, Superformance, or Unique...) that I would proudly associate with any drool-worthy car I was driving.