View Single Post
Old 11-17-2003, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous ERA owner on break
Not Ranked     

If I may, I would refer you to this previous thread:

ttp://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=45239&highlight=spinner

I, and several others on the forum, have had problems with removal of the aluminum spinners after a number of on/off cycles. From what I've been able to learn from some metallurgist friends, aluminum spinners will eventually weld themselves to the aluminum wheels under the normal pressure of repetitive tightening. How long before it happens seems to be a function of how often you remove/retighten the spinners. I used anti-seize compound on the face between the spinner and wheel until it ran out the threads and still welded all four of the spinners to the wheels, as shown by some rather large pitted areas on the face of the spinners. Without the Finishline tool, I don't think I would have gotten the spinners off, short of using a cutting torch. There have been other threads on this forum in which folks described completely demolishing lead hammers (with accompanying photos) in unsuccessful attempts to remove the things. Others swear by the lead hammers, but I will attest that no lead hammer would have removed these things the last time I had to take them off. IMHO, you would do well to get one of the tools because you will likely need it sooner or later. I figure I applied well over 600 ft-lbs of torque to the tool to break these things loose; the torque was enough to bend a 1" diameter mild steel bar far enough that it had to be cut off the tool. I seriously doubt that any hammer would have been able to provide that much torque without breaking the tangs off the spinner. I also agree with Tinker51 in that you shouldn't use the tool to install the spinners; you will overtighten them and have a difficult time getting them off next time. I don't intend to start a urinary confrontation here, and I fully understand that many folks have had satisfactory service from the hammers; however, this is my personal experience on the subject and I would like to help others avoid the problem. Be sure to safety wire them after installation, in case they do loosen up (as others on this forum have experienced). It seems odd to me that some people have the wheels fall off in normal driving and others need to hire King Kong to remove them, but I guess the differences are part of the sport.