View Single Post
Old 11-19-2003, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VICTORY, 92 C.I., belt drive, saddle bags.
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Pre-Flight Check

Quote:
The wing nut is what is keeping the wheel on and in place when the vehicle as it is going around a corner. I personaly do not want the rim moving relative to the hub. Think about the huge forces on the rim and wing nut when you are pulling one G in a corner.
Tom, your right, and I did not mean to minimize the importance of proper torquing to assure that lateral loads on the wheels are held at bay.

As well, I should have mentioned that I reface all mating surfaces with emery cloth and a buffer prior to every reassembly. I remove, reface, re-antisieze, and re-torque, and re-safety wire all whells and spinners twice each year. The holes in the spinner ears for the safetywire should be spot faced on both sides with a counter sink tool after drilling. I use aircraft grade 0.028" stainless safetywire.

I will stand firm regarding the issue of "bending" the ears of the spinner. Quite frankly, if one is bending the ears in any way whatsoever.... you've got other issues going on.

As for "pre-flight" check, I wire my spinners with a little bit of slack. Thataway, I can quickly tell prior to each launch if a spinner is backing off.. as the wire pulls tight. 6,000 miles over 36 months has produced not one tight wire set..... and there have been a number of "sideways" miles included.

As Rick Parker said.... some more beating must be in order.

Respectfully,

Zderf