View Single Post
Old 11-28-2003, 12:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     

Well were to start with the RTA / Engineer?

I think the only way to start this story is:

Once upon a time my first engineer said to me after getting my car ready for his second inspection during the build process that he has decided he will no longer be doing any more cars so I should go of and find myself someone else to be my engineer as he will not pay the large fee that the RTA wants so he can be put on the inspection register.
So in October I go on my quest to find another M/E as it turns out I find one very close to my home which is good until he turns up and say's " hummm those side pipes have to go and that Motec and those wilwood brakes and that balance bar bias system and those really low suspension springs but other than that every thing looks good".

Well by this stage I am in shock and try to explain that the previous M/E had no problems with all these items.
His reply "tuff" and of he go's by this time my aura from not being a happy camper is expanding rapidly so the dog is hideing in the back shed the cats bolted over the fence and i am walking around the back yard mumbling to myself.
At this point I locked the garage door and did not go back in there for 2 months, when I could finaly go into the garage with out feeling nauseous I set about changing my exaust, computer, wilwoods and suspension but not the brake bias set up as told this is the same system as robnel has used for ages.
So next I get a call from my M/E in november 2002 and he tells me the RTA said if you have your car ready for engineers approval by December 2002 that it will fall under the old RTA rules and every thing will be sweet because in 2003 everything is changing and there will be new criteria to be meet in getting your car passed.
Well I worked on it to all hours of the night every night of the week to the point were my wife was thinking about applying for a widows pension I called in all my favours from my freinds until they would not answer there phones or open there front doors and virtualy camped out at the auto electricians and exaust guys shops to make sure they got the job done on time.
Finaly the day came and every thing past brake, noise and every other test it had to comply with so I am thinking i will have my car registered in early january 2003 boy was I mistaken.
At this point my memory is a bit hazey as I think my brain went in to self preservation mode as this was the only way I would ever have my cobra registerd with out being put into jail for ringing someones neck.
Here is the last 10 months.

April. took this long for the RTA to even look at the at the file

June.They decide I will have to do more brake tests as per the new regulations which started in 2003 even after they had said I only need to comply with 2002 regs.

July. they are not happy with the brake set up it must run a booster so i will have to change my system.

August. changed ther mind again my original brake system is now OK.

November 26. finaly get my VIN.

What can I say? I could type exactly how I felt during the last 12 months but my shrink said its not healthy for me to scream profanities and hit peole with a peice of 2x4 so all i will say is thank you for the experiance RTA.

I am now going to meditate for the next 2 hours to get my blood pressure back down.

Craig W