View Single Post
Old 12-07-2003, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     
Default 4.250 stroke is no brainer

When you use the 4.250 stroke you can use a 6.700 or 6.800 rod lenght. The pin does not go into the pin hole with either rod. We use the 6.700 mostly because it uses a 2.335 compression height and this works real well on the street. Most people are not turning these engines above 6500 anyway with a hydraulic roller or a dual plain intake. This just gives you a bigger engine with more power and tourqe. If a guy want to turn the engine high RPM's like a all out race engine then you may want to look at a shorter stroke but the 4.250 can be turned 7500 to 7600 with the right head and intake combo with a solid roller. why run the shorter rod when the longer rod gives you a better rod angle, makes the cylinders have less load on them, the piston less likely to rock around and does not pull it as far down the cylinder. The piston is also lighter where there is not much difference in the weight of the rod. We custom design and order all of our pistons for each customers application. They come from the piston company with this customers name on the order. what may be best for one customer will not be best for another customer. You would spend to much time messing with a big block Chevy piston because of the wrong valve location and compression height. Just build it right and you will not have to mess with any of this stuff. These are just my opinions and the way we do things. Thanks Keith