View Single Post
Old 12-07-2003, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Piston rocking

KeithC Keith You are talking about no skirt or little skirt on your pistons. I work for GM and this piston design has problems LS1 has piston slapping or knocking when cold the noise will stop after 2-3 minutes. There is no skirts to stop this and with low tension rings it adds to the problem I have pulled apart motors with 60,000 miles on them and the cylinder walls are grooved and have cylinder leak down. They went to a coated piston to stop the rock in the cylinder. It is bonded on the skirt and fixes the problem until it wears off and you have the same problem again. If I was pulling apart the motor every year and rebuild I could see the not skirt piston and live with the looseness. I donot want to do this. I pull the rocker shafts each winter,new oil in the motor, fog it till it stalls, seal the intake and exhaust, put moisture bags in pipes. jack off the ground on jack stands. fresh coolant in the motor 50/50 mix. I see you go with JE pistons, are you a dealer or quick turn time for each order you send? I am looking at pistons that I can get coatings on for the skirts and the tops. The motor I have now has this done. It may not add HP or Tork but it stops wear on the walls and detonation on the piston tops. I will only turn 6250 with the next motor. I cobra will not stand for more than 550 hp and 650 tork and still be as driviable. on the street. Not saying that you can't but 800 hp in the car but short lived motor and wear and tear. I have seen what more power does, I find that sometimes less is better. If I want to go faster a can put the 6 spd back in the car. 5spd with 3.31 seems the way to go. Thanks for your knowledge on FE's Rick Lake