View Single Post
Old 12-08-2003, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics, 302
Not Ranked     
Angry American vs. Cheap

As one of the many thousands (millions?) of workers whose "high tech" jobs are being sent overseas, I find myself giving a lot of thought to this off-shoring phenomenon. I have always preferred quality over quantity...but I will admit to buying a fair number of chinese tools, that I only intended to use only once.

1) It is my opinion that the vast majority of CEO's are not independent-thinkers. They would rather pay a consultant to advise them on what everyone-else is doing. Jack Welch is somewhat of an exception...but he seems to have exchanged any concept of morality for this ability (ask his ex-wife).
2) Capitalism, as presently expressed, is driven by VOLUME. The engine requires constant replacement, or expansion, of existing ownership (the stuff you've got).
3) Executives by-and-large think greed is good.
4) Workers, for the most part, confuse productivity with putting-in-time. I have seen MANY resumes that recount number of years service, without any mention of their contribution.
5) The overseas workers taking our jobs arrogantly tell us that we should be better-educated. But why go to get yet another degree, when not even physicians or attorneys are safe? This is not an exaggeration...Chinese neurologists can read an MRI much cheaper than an American.

The sadest fact of all is that America has a vast population of improverished who would be happy to learn a new skill.

So what does Shelby do? Build another car plant in South Africa. As if they need the work, or the money.