View Single Post
Old 12-08-2003, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     
Default Piston Design

We have seen no problems or extra were with the 1.335 style compression height that we are running. There a lot of things that go into the piston design. What style cam profile is on the skirt, what alloy the piston is made with, the piston to wall clearance that is used, how the lenght of the skirt is desinged and what clearance is built in above the top ring as well as where the rings are placed. We are talking about things that affect each other. There are good and bad things to every design and every engine. The Ls1 and Ls6 might have a little piston slap on call starts and this may be due to the design of the piston and not only the compression height. Those engines run real well so they must be doing something right. as far as getting pistons we can get you about any design you want. We are the largest JE Ford piston dealer in the country so we can get you a real nice custom set of pistons. The custome pistons will run about 659.00 for a dish plus 32.00 for the pin fitting and 80.00 for a standard style pin. I run a .990X2.930 pin in the big block stuff because there is a lot better choice in pins. When you run the .975 Ford diameter you really limit your self on the pin selection plus this is what size comes in the BB Chevy rods. We then send of and get the coatings done for the top and skirts. This will generaly run about 160.00 to 200.00 depending on the pistons. Hope this helps a little. Thanks Keith