View Single Post
Old 12-16-2003, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

Pic (Edit: sorry, can't attach pic for some reason) attached of my 3 qt accusump installation. I made up a support bar with flanges for the accusump "feet", it bolts directly to the ally inner wings, just above the top shock mounts.

I use it for pre-oiling the engine before starting, and when on a track, as my sump/oil pick up combo can suck air under extreme braking. One of these days that sump is going to go. But the engine won't, since it is protected by the Accusump.

On the pre-oiling issue, I look at it this way. With more than $12k in my engine, anything which helps protect it is worthwhile. I put it away steaming hot, leave it sometimes for a couple of weeks before starting it up again. All the oil will have worked it's way off bearing surfaces and down into the sump during that time. Pre-charging the oilways, plus pre-pressurising the bearings, can NOT be a bad thing.

I use the electric solenoid on the Accusump - flick the switch, and leave it whilst I open the garage door or whatever. I guess, that with stone-cold oil (and it is cold around here right now), it pressurises for at least a minute - enough time to get oil up to the rockers etc., so everything is lubed before starting it up.

Anyway - enough tech-talk. It's an extra toy for the Cobra, right? Therefore no discusssion is strictly necessary!

Last edited by wilf leek; 12-16-2003 at 05:29 AM..