Thread: Front End Drift
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Max: When you're talking spring rates, springs must be designed so the static deflection of the front is slightly more than the rear, or travel from full droop to ride height, which should be abut 3 inches at minimum. It gets complicated, but spring rate translates to wheel rate depending on the lever ratio of the suspension, or spring travel to wheel travel.

What we try to do here is make sure ride frequencies are basically the same front to rear, or the front is slightly slower--read softer--than the rear. But the concern over sufficient wheel travel, or static ride height to jounce, is sufficient. But this is not the problem as Peter describes it. His is one of floating. If the front were running out of wheel travel, the car would PUSH badly over bumps as the front wheel rate goes out of sight. Sort of like having extremely stiff springs. But his car reacts just the opposite.

Having designed and set up a lot of race cars, I'm aware that suspension problems can drive you nuts. I've been flown across the country to cure what seemed to be "incurable" problems. However, taken logically, eliminating known problems, and driving the car under controlled conditions, you can zero in on any any suspension problem with relative ease.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue