Old 01-06-2004, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Question

Wilf

Thanks for the reply.

We built the chassis at McDonald Bros. Racing who do a lot of race cars but mainly concentrate on drag cars.

I think that could have been the reason for the QA1 shockers.

Just taken off the shelf.

I have since been told that they may not be suitable and have just noticed comments on the Thread here.

I will follow up on this with the guys there at McDonald Racing, as I am heading there tomorrow.

The description that was given to handling problems is very similiar to my problem. I have really been pushing the car to its/my limit and I have had a bit of a scare with the float effect.

Have used a 9" rear with four bar. Two at approx. 90dg and 45dg. 3.25LSD. No panhard. Suspension has full travel ability as the chassis was built to suit.

I don't know if you can see the chassis detail in the photos.

The front is fabricated with tube upper and lower arms. Both front and back suspension has been hung high on the chassis to give the lower stance.

There is little to no flex in the chassis. I sit on a floor welded below the chassis and look through the middle of the screen. I thought this low position may have caused me to over correct.

In lower gears I am getting considerable wheel spin but straight and direct in direction. This is consistant with what has been said regarding the QA1 shocker being suitable for drag racing.

Handling is very good through the curves and it hangs on like a kart, BUT as described it floats about if there is any dips etc. in the road.

Will keep watching this space and do some adjustments on the shockers.

Thanks again

Cheers

Bernie

Bernie Knight
Mt. Gambier South Australia

City site is - www.mountgambier.gov.org
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 01-06-2004 at 03:24 PM..