Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   429/460 Engine Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/429-460-engine-talk/)
-   -   Found during oil change (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/429-460-engine-talk/136623-found-during-oil-change.html)

joey4420 05-30-2016 04:13 PM

Found during oil change

So after changing my intake manifold gasket twice (both times it has leaked from different area's) not my week. And I need to do it again.

I changed the oil and found the following attached to my drain plug magnet.
I also found some greasy metal shavings. It doesn't look good no matter how I slice it.

Thoughts?

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...1E3CA760D6.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...2CC1FF9915.jpg

Gaz64 05-30-2016 05:50 PM

That is not good.

Difficult to say what it is.

Whatever is was has been beaten up a bit.

I'd say it is engine out for disassembly. %/

Gary

DWRAT 05-30-2016 06:15 PM

It looks like rubber but i'm guessing it's metal?

joey4420 05-30-2016 06:18 PM

Sadly it is metal. I plan to pull the pan at minimum. I am hoping it isn't a tear down as the engine and car only has 5100 miles.

jhv48 05-30-2016 06:21 PM

That's a head scratcher. If it's in the pan, if there's any damage, it's already done. Almost looks like a broken piece of valve seat. Any weird or unusual noises lately?
If not, do a leak down or compression test and if all checks out ok, I personally, would try to forget about it and go for a drive. If it's serious, you'll know soon enough but I doubt it. Doesn't look like bearings, cam, piston, rings, lifters, etc.

Good luck sleeping.

joey4420 05-30-2016 06:27 PM

No bad noises at all. Only issues I have had is a oil leak in the intake manifold so I change the gasket, well a friend of mine did the work as he was in town visiting. Sadly it was then pissing out the front and rear so I changed it again myself and it as a slight leak out the rear only.

I have also have a slight over heating issue but this is sadly common on the west coast Cobras so I am working through all the fixes.

Gaz64 05-30-2016 06:35 PM

Have you fixed the leak or you still have a leak?
If the manifold needs to come off again, I would check all the lifters for a dislodged circlip.

If it was part of a valve seat, the engine would be misfiring and that bore would damaged beyond repair.

I would also pull the valve covers off for valve train inspection.

Can you get the oil pan off in car?

Gary

DWRAT 05-30-2016 06:38 PM

I agree with jhv, don't do to much yet.
It could have come from a scraping tool or something like that when you or your buddy was changing the intake gasket.
Give it some time and see if anyone here knows exactly what it really is.

Gaz64 05-30-2016 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWRAT (Post 1393136)
I agree with jhv, don't do to much yet.
It could have come from a scraping tool or something like that when you or your buddy was changing the intake gasket.
Give it some time and see if anyone here knows exactly what it really is.

That's right, it could be something foreign.

Was the valley covered up while the intake was off?

What tools were used for cleaning the gaskets off?

Gary

joey4420 05-30-2016 06:45 PM

I can get the pan off. I am still debating if I should try doing the gasket again or take it to the local Perfromance shop. The guy builds ford engines and sells backdraft and superformance. So if nothing else I hope tendrils by with the little piece and ask his thoughts. I just figured I would ask on the forums first.

carmine 05-30-2016 06:54 PM

That looks like metal clip from valve seal

Gaz64 05-30-2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmine (Post 1393140)
That looks like metal clip from valve seal

Yes, it could be.

The large end looks like a break, the other three sides look original.

The valve spring partly straightened it out when it jumped through the coils?

Gary

joey4420 05-30-2016 07:01 PM

Bottom was cover tools were a razor scrapper and acetone and rags.

spdbrake 05-30-2016 07:03 PM

It looks like a thread that broke off. I say that because in the second photo it looks tapered. Hard to guess the Diameter of what this came from since the bend radius appears tighter on the right side and opens up moving left on the top photo. Hopefully its from the pan plug bung or dipstick bung.

I highly doubt it is a valve seat as there is no real path for it to get in the oil pan, unless PFM was at work.

Gaz64 05-30-2016 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey4420 (Post 1393143)
Bottom was cover tools were a razor scrapper and acetone and rags.

I didn't think it was a workmanship issue. :)

Jac Mac 05-30-2016 10:18 PM

Looks more like the tapered end of a 'flat' damper coil from valve spring to me, occasionally find one missing/broken off on teardown, particularly if the spring does not match retainer or spring seat correctly.

ICCARS 05-30-2016 10:34 PM

Hi Joey,
I agree with Jac Mac, it's the end off the damper spring 100% Easy fix though and doesn't mean the engine has to come out if you have the right tools to pull the spring out with the head on. Pull the rocker covers off and you will find the culprit.

Cheers
Wil

Gaz64 05-31-2016 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jac Mac (Post 1393166)
Looks more like the tapered end of a 'flat' damper coil from valve spring to me, occasionally find one missing/broken off on teardown, particularly if the spring does not match retainer or spring seat correctly.

Yes, that what it is alright.

1795 05-31-2016 04:20 AM

If you have blown 2 intake gaskets, you might want to take a close look at the intake manifold. Mine went through several intake gaskets and we noticed towards the end that the manifold was not flat. If you put it on a bench it would rock corner to corner like a table in a cheap diner. Bought a replacement intake manifold and the problem was solved. No more intake manifold gasket problems after 10,000 miles.

joey4420 05-31-2016 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1795 (Post 1393181)
If you have blown 2 intake gaskets, you might want to take a close look at the intake manifold. Mine went through several intake gaskets and we noticed towards the end that the manifold was not flat. If you put it on a bench it would rock corner to corner like a table in a cheap diner. Bought a replacement intake manifold and the problem was solved. No more intake manifold gasket problems after 10,000 miles.

Oh I hope that isn't the issue with my leaks... the initial leak was out of the front and only after driving it home 12 hours the day I bought it. Changed things and it leaks out the front and back. Changed again and just the rear leaks. I just think I didn't get the "Right Stuff" on thick enough. Prior to this the last intake manifold I had done was when I was in High School and changed the intake on my brother 76 chevy blazer. I don't remember it leaking, so I must have done something right.