Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   429/460 Engine Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/429-460-engine-talk/)
-   -   Long winter, now she won't start! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/429-460-engine-talk/140875-long-winter-now-she-wont-start.html)

Trubble 05-04-2018 04:00 PM

Long winter, now she won't start!

My 514 BBF with Holley 4150 DP sat thru our long Ohio winter - over 120 days. Now, she cranks over ok, but no hint of engine starting. She ran fine late last fall, but now, nothing.
I have searched the net and this site and read that possibly I need to fill the float bowls, but I can't tell you how many years it's been since I touched a carb. I Don't want to cobble things up, and would appreciate any advice.
I'm very willing to learn about the care of this beast.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

patrickt 05-04-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trubble (Post 1443784)
My 514 BBF with Holley 4150 DP sat thru our long Ohio winter - over 120 days. Now, she cranks over ok, but no hint of engine starting. She ran fine late last fall, but now, nothing.
I have searched the net and this site and read that possibly I need to fill the float bowls, but I can't tell you how many years it's been since I touched a carb. I Don't want to cobble things up, and would appreciate any advice.
I'm very willing to learn about the care of this beast.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

On the bowl that is towards the front of the car, unscrew the brass sight plug on the side of the bowl and remove it and the little washer that is on it. Then fill the bowl, via the vent tube that is on the top of the carburetor just behind the bowl itself -- it looks like a little open pipe. Use a squirt bottle and fill the bowl up through that vent tube until gas spills out the sight plug hole. Then put the sight plug back in, pump the throttle three or four times, crank it, and repeat. It will usually fire up on the second or third go.

Trubble 05-04-2018 07:38 PM

Patrickt,
Thanks for your reply. Your explanation is clear. I'll be out in the garage tomorrow working on getting her running again.
Bill

twobjshelbys 05-04-2018 08:00 PM

Have you verified spark? If you have a MSD especially. My Cobra ate two of them.

Jaydee 05-04-2018 08:56 PM

Also try tapping where the fuel goes into the bowl as the needle and seat can sometimes jam shut. JD

Trubble 05-04-2018 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1443796)
Have you verified spark? If you have a MSD especially. My Cobra ate two of them.

Tony
No. Have not checked spark yet.

I suspected fuel first. After lots of tries yesterday, did not get any hint of fuel smell at carb. If she still won't go, then will look at spark. What was your issue? Fried ignition box? Do you know why your car ate 2?

Thanks for checking in.
Bill

Trubble 05-04-2018 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee (Post 1443798)
Also try tapping where the fuel goes into the bowl as the needle and seat can sometimes jam shut. JD

Jaydee,
Thank you- will give that a try too.

EM-0785 05-04-2018 10:42 PM

Hi Bill,

Maybe for lower on the list, but clogged fuel filter? Good luck...Brent

Gaz64 05-05-2018 03:46 AM

120 days of winter, how much fuel was in the tank at last shutdown?

Old fuel, high water % from condensation?

Gary

Ron61 05-05-2018 06:16 AM

I hope that you have found your problem by now and the car is running. But just a thought for future long storage times. I use Staybil in my gas for the cars and my lawn equipment and have never had a problem with the gas going bad.

Ron

EM-0785 05-05-2018 06:37 AM

Bill,

Perhaps badly fouled plugs, needing cleaning or replacement, with spark coming through then getting impacted?

Brent

FWB 05-05-2018 06:42 AM

Ron, it's not fair to everyone else, when you have the help of 2000 shasta pygmy's that sneak into your garage at night

Ron61 05-05-2018 12:15 PM

Yea Fred, but those blasted things track dust everywhere.

Ron :LOL:

Trubble 05-05-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron61 (Post 1443816)
I hope that you have found your problem by now and the car is running. But just a thought for future long storage times. I use Staybil in my gas for the cars and my lawn equipment and have never had a problem with the gas going bad.

Ron

Ron/Gary and everyone:
Gas tank was filled over winter, and had fuel stabilizer added.
Patrickt, using your priming technique, I did get her to fire briefly, but only had time to do the prime process once. Will be back at it tomorrow, since you suggested I repeat the process.

I am planning to pull plugs and replace if necessary. Same for the fuel filter - don't know how old it is, altho it looks clean.

I really appreciate all the advice.

Bill

patrickt 05-05-2018 06:13 PM

Once you have filled the bowl up, you should not have to fill it again. Rather, pushing your accelerator pedal to the floor three or four times will allow the accelerator pump to squirt some gas down in the carb. Tomorrow, just get in the car and pump the accelerator to the floor three or four times slowly, wait a few seconds, then crank it while pressing on the accelerator pedal about an inch or so.

Trubble 05-05-2018 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1443850)
Once you have filled the bowl up, you should not have to fill it again. Rather, pushing your accelerator pedal to the floor three or four times will allow the accelerator pump to squirt some gas down in the carb. Tomorrow, just get in the car and pump the accelerator to the floor three or four times slowly, wait a few seconds, then crank it while pressing on the accelerator pedal about an inch or so.

Patrickt:
Got it! Will do precisely that!
Brent, I think plugs are OK, as it ran fine last December, but I still intend to pull and inspect them.

Bill

KirkV 05-06-2018 04:14 AM

Sounds like the fuel pump may be having an issue getting gas to the carb?

Trubble 05-06-2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1443850)

Sir,
Your detailed advice worked like a charm! This newbie got her started easily after several slow pumps of the throttle.

Wondering if I ought to just start a"BUILD LOG" covering this and some other issues I have to sort out....

Later.
Bill

patrickt 05-06-2018 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trubble (Post 1443906)
Sir,
Your detailed advice worked like a charm! This newbie got her started easily after several slow pumps of the throttle.

Wondering if I ought to just start a"BUILD LOG" covering this and some other issues I have to sort out....

Later.
Bill

Yep, most things on these cars are actually pretty simple. Some of them are incredibly simple (like an empty float bowl). But, if nobody takes the time to explain them to you, then you have to figure them out on your own, which usually means breaking stuff, or making the problem worse the first couple of times, and then you figure it out.;)

Bartruff1 05-07-2018 03:40 PM

Full tank of non ethanol fuel with Stabill and a blast of starting fluid has worked for me for 10 years ....