Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2006, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     
Default What Oil to Use?

Good Morning All,
In my Cobra I have a new (only 1,100 miles) 460 crate motor. I just puchased the car and I want to change the oil. Any recommendations? I would like to change to synthetic, but I have heard you need more miles on the motor to do so. The person I purchased the car from said there was Castrol 10W-40 in the motor now. Is this too light? Any information would be greatly appreciated. These cars are amazing! I have been a Corvette guy for 37 years and this is my first Ford, let alone a Cobra.
I entered a car in a show to raise $ for children that need heart surgery and out of over 400 cars it took best in show. The car fractured people!!

Best Regards,

Anthony
Old 05-07-2006, 04:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4995, Keith Craft built 427 SO
Send a message via MSN to 427SnakeSC Send a message via Yahoo to 427SnakeSC
Not Ranked     

The subject of oil has been discussed many times in the past. Look for the old threads to get the complete story. Many of the high performance engine builders have said the synthetic oils tend to make the engines leak. I myself use the Castrol 10W-40. I have had many high performance cars and bikes over the years and have never had any problems with the Castrol. Another oil, I have used and liked, is Kendal GT1 10W-40. IMHO, either of these oils will work great in your Cobra.
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American

Last edited by 427SnakeSC; 05-07-2006 at 06:53 AM..
Old 05-07-2006, 05:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Anthony:
For reasons I don't quite understand Cobra owners like their oil "old School" and heavy. Myself, I get plenty of pressure with 5W-30 Mobil1 and have never had a leak.

Bob
Old 05-07-2006, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

I like synthetic myself but would give your engine a little more time to break in first. As far as thickness that really depends on the tolerances & climate.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4083, NOS 427 SOHC, serial number 589. Dyno'd in 1967 at 629HP with single 4v 560 Holley. Now with 4 Webers.
Not Ranked     

What is the theory behind breaking in with mineral oil, then waiting to switch to synthetic? Most high dollar, high performance cars come right from the factory with synthetic oil.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Thanks to all that replied about which oil to use, I appreciate the responses. Seems that it is six of one 1/2 dozen of the other. Best Regards.

Anthony
Old 05-07-2006, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

From what I've been told, synthetic is so efficient it doesn't really allow the engine to break in effectively.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4083, NOS 427 SOHC, serial number 589. Dyno'd in 1967 at 629HP with single 4v 560 Holley. Now with 4 Webers.
Not Ranked     

My current favorite is Royal Purple oil. I use the Racing #21. They have a chart to help pick the correct grade:

http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/whichoil.html
Old 05-07-2006, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B
Not Ranked     

I have nothing against Royal Purple....but if it is so good and far surpasses other motor oil why is it not an industry standard? or more popular than it is.

I would imagine if it was that good, every race type vehicle would want to run it. Especially if it gave you an edge?????

Wouldn't car manufacturers want to use it as their first fill????

Just thinking out loud!

You can observe a lot from just watching.

Last edited by jams; 05-07-2006 at 10:33 AM..
Old 05-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Be careful using "racing oils" for street applications. Racers want nothing but lubrication. They're going to change the oil after the race anyway. Racing oils tend to have no detergents and so forth. Racing oil and sludge are the best of buddies in street cars.

Bob
Old 05-07-2006, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Oh come on.....no one said SNAKE OIL? I couldn't help myself, it seemed too easy, my apologies,LOL.