Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   429/460 Engine Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/429-460-engine-talk/)
-   -   Chevy engine? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/429-460-engine-talk/71321-chevy-engine.html)

billyr98 07-20-2006 01:12 PM

Chevy engine?

I am thinking about purchasing a Shelby Replica in the next day or so.. But it is so hard to compare cars with the pricing range out there...

He has a 468 Chevy Big Block bored .030 over.... And I just wanted some opinions if this engine is a good one to get for this 1967 Shelby Cobra car?

Here are the other specs...

1967 AC Cobra Replica

Frame: 4 inch round tubing with 2x4 crossmembers and removable transmount
Suspension: Jag front & rear
Kugal bushings
Competition Engineering Front Tortion Bars
All suspension plated with gold iridite and polished
Shocks: Aldon adjustable and rebuildable shocks
Brakes: JFZ polished 4 piston calipers
SS aircraft brake lines
Tilton Master Cylinder
JFZ pressure valves
Body: 427 SC fiberglass steel reinforced
tubbed rear for large tires
Complete body shell painted inside & out
Paint: Gaurdsman Blue with white stripes show quality acrylic with clear
Interior: Blue leather hide & Velour with blue wool carpet
Dash: Aluminum constructed
Stewart Warner Deluxe Gauges
Sony Cassette Radio with power antenna
-354 posi rear with traction bars
-Simpson Racing Harness'
-Convertible top with side curtains
-Fresh air system with duct work and floor vents
-Polished aluminum battery box
-Polished fire extinguisher
Fuel System: 18 gallon tank
Holley electric fuel pump
3/8 fuel line
Coolers: Earls oil and Trans coolers with aircraft lines
Radiator: Modine 4 core super radiator
Flexolite electric fan and shroud
Trans: Turbo 400 with modified valve body
TCI 2200 Stall converter
B&M Megashifter
Heavy duty drive shaft with cv joint
Driveshaft mounted emergency brake
Motor: 468 Chevy Big Block bored .030 over
Steel Crank
Forged Pistons/factory rods
Big Valve heads with bronze guides
Crowler Cam, lifters, and valve spring kit
High volume oil pump and pickup
Moly push rods and guides
Milodon oil pan and valve covers
Weiand 8005 Dual Plane intake
Barry Grant flowed Holley carb
Accel HEI ignition
Hooker ceramic coated heades with chrome side pipes
500hp at wheels
Tires & wheels: Compumotion 3 peice aluminum wheel
8 inch front 12 inch rear
Mickey Thompson Indy Profile
g-60-15 front and n-50-15 rear

He has offered this to me for 40k

Burgs 07-20-2006 01:48 PM

I don't think so!

Dangerous Doug 07-20-2006 01:55 PM

Having a Chevy engine in a Cobra detracts from the value of the car. I think Arntz Cobras came with Chevy engines.

Without looking at the car, it sounds overpriced to me. One with a Chevy engine I'd think would be in the $25k-$30k range. These are also harder to sell, if you decided to get ride of it.

Look before you leap. There are a LOT of Cobras out there for sale. You're better off to find one with a Ford engine, preferably a 427 side-oiler or a 428 police interceptor. Unless, you opt for a 289 FIA or slabside cobra, then a 289 or a 302 is correct and will not detract from the car's value. Do some more research before you jump into anything!

427SnakeSC 07-20-2006 01:57 PM

I have a friend in Florida, who deals in these cars all the time. He tells me that when they have Chevy engines in them, he can't give them away! It's nothing against Chevy, it just isn't the correct motor for the car!

billyr98 07-20-2006 02:23 PM

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...98/shelby5.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...98/shelby1.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...98/shelby3.jpg

some pics

Zoom This 07-20-2006 02:48 PM

Hmmm...Chevy motor, velvet seats, automatic trans, radio in the dash. Burgs, Dangerous and Snake are all correct. Shop around more. $40k is way to much for the car. Buy a Cobra with a Ford motor and retain value. Kinda like buyin' a Corvette with a 289. It just ain't right.

Burgs 07-20-2006 02:57 PM

Where are you located? Here's one I can recommend.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobras-sale/68551-selling-my-shell-valley.html

WV66AC 07-20-2006 03:09 PM

I got into a chevy powered cobra without doing my usual amount of research. I now enjoy my car because it is "different" and has a bit of history. The market had beaten the asking price down -- and the car found me after I considered my wife's desire for a 56 t-bird needing (expensive)restoration-- thus I pulled the trigger quickly not realizing how only Ford motors are installed or desired for the last ten years in the Cobra hobby. You have to decide what you want the car for, etc. -- look for other threads on CC for that issue. Good Luck on your decision.

Tommy 07-20-2006 04:11 PM

billyr98 -
I don't disagree with most of the above replies to your question, but I have to ask you a question. What answers did you expect when posting your question on the forum dedicated to discussions of FORD big block engines?

Karl Bebout 07-20-2006 04:37 PM

Billy, undoubtedly all the previous replies are correct regarding the resale value of the car you described. If that is not an issue, and you really like the car, do some dealing and steal yourself a lot of miles of smiles. Be forewarned, you will receive a whole lot of criticism from the die hard blue oval people. Its really kind or fun, in a perverse way. VERY few will want to try to beat you on the drag strip.
I personally would be very hesitant to put any tires on the car, that would hook up well enough to make it go as quickly, as the car is capable. 'fraid there'd be some very expensive rear end parts scattered about. Just my 2¢ worth.

billyr98 07-20-2006 04:40 PM

So 40k for those specs are probably good to a chevy guy?

Burgs 07-20-2006 04:45 PM

I still don't think so, chevy or not!

billyr98 07-20-2006 04:53 PM

anyone else?

Karl Bebout 07-20-2006 04:59 PM

Billy, I'd really have to be in love with the car to go that high. Undoubtedly, there's 'way more than that in it, from the description, but that doens't mean you have to bear the load. I bought my car for well under $20K seven years ago, but have since then put more than double that back in. At least the money I spent on it was for just what I wanted. There will be more spent as time goes by. I wanted mine to be reliable, able to withstand abuse, not a run of the mill replica, very streetable, and bad enough that no one really wants to dance. I don't have over heating issues, pump gas is fine, and she dosn't load up. Mission accomplished and my car is never confused with another.

SCOBRAC 07-20-2006 07:23 PM

I like it for $28.5 they are well built enjoyable cars albeit not terribly original as you have no doubt seen. I edited this post down from $32.5 -$35k just given what I see in the details which can be pretty easily changed... My exerience mirrors Karl's but I got in 5 years ago. I spent an equal amount of money on an original Medium Rise Side Oiler, knockoff wheels and adoptors, 17" rubber and a host of small upgrades.

In the end I have a car that will turn high 10's run 0-60 in under 4 seconds, or "bad enough nobody wants to dance" :LOL: love that and pull 1.07 g's... All for a lot less than the asking price of this car. It's still not the most beautiful replica on the road but it might be the nicest replica under $50k on the road. Chebbie motors are great but they are cheap. The automatic is nice if you want to putt around town I guess but I look at this car and see a roller, I'd take out the engine and tranny and put a Ford engine in... But really I wouldn't do it enless I got the roller for $20k or less.

I know what you are going through but I might take a pass on this car.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d..._3152_side.jpg

RedEsprit 07-20-2006 08:11 PM

Hi Billy,
I have to go along with the crowd here. My opinion is that replicas are built to "replicate". The closer you can get to the original, the more the replica is worth. Even small items will detract from value. Having a GM powertrain is NOT a small item. Buy the car for $40,000 only if you can sell the power train for $20,000. Find a good 427/428 with a toploader and your in biz.

ffindling 07-20-2006 08:54 PM

Car????

[quote=billyr98]I am thinking about purchasing a Shelby Replica in the next day or so.. But it is so hard to compare cars with the pricing range out there...

He has a 468 Chevy Big Block bored .030 over.... And I just wanted some opinions if this engine is a good one to get for this 1967 Shelby Cobra car?

Here are the other specs...

1967 AC Cobra Replica

Frame: 4 inch round tubing with 2x4 crossmembers and removable transmount
Suspension: Jag front & rear
Competition Engineering Front Tortion Bars
All suspension plated with gold iridite and polished
(LINES DELETED)

-354 posi rear with traction bars

I'm a bit confused here! The description says "Jag front & rear" which would
lead me to believe the car has a Jag IRS. But further down it says "-354
posi rear with traction bars." That would lead me to believe that it is a
solid axle car. Since the overall description of the car is basically that of
a drag race car, the latter is probably true. Also that the rear is "tubbed"
would reinforce the fact that it is a purpose-built drag car and not streetable
regardless of the engine. The car would appear to be something built for
NHRA/IHRA bracket racing, probably in 9.9 or 10.9 classes.
As others have mentioned, better pass this one up!!

....Fred

427SnakeSC 07-21-2006 03:34 AM

For $40,000, I am sure you will be able to find something more correct. Some careful thinking now will result in less headaches in the future.

WV66AC 07-21-2006 04:23 AM

These cars are easy to get into -- and hard to get out of. I find myself thinking that I got into a big block mid 60s car that fits "my" needs for cheap. Among true Cobra followers - the GM drivetrain gives no value to the car and the car would be priced for the discounted cost of the parts in the roller. You can give yourself some time -- If this car sells to someone else, there are lots for sale - for that kind of money

billyr98 07-21-2006 08:14 AM

yep i passed on the car... will look for something exactly what i want... this one was put on my lap.. i rather search and find one for my needs...