Thread: Cobra Kits
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2004, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #101, 342 stroker
Not Ranked     

Tex,
I like you wanted a car for street/club events, not all out racing. I also didn't want the donor car route. Look very closely at the Unique Deluxe Pallet Kit. Excellent company with an excellent product at a fair cost. Also look at Backdraft Racing (I just bought mine). I decided to go turnkey minus because I couldn't finish the kit for the same price as the Backdraft. I always liked Superformance, but couldn't afford it. The Superformance is a little nicer than Backdraft, but not $10K nicer. Also decide if you want live axle or IRS. Kits like B&B, Shell Valley, Team-C offer complete kits with live axle. Unique has a Jag IRS. Also decide on Rear Disc vs. Drum if you go live axle. When you add it all up, you will spend more than you planned on, just accept it! If you want to build a car, have IRS, 4 wheel disc brakes, & Big Block capability, it will be hard to beat the Unique Deluxe Pallet Kit. If you go live axle, B&B, Shell Valley, Midstates, Team-C, A&C are all contenders. As of yet Backdraft does not have a big block option if you go Turn Key Minus.
After all I learned over the last year, being involved with the local Cobra Club, I would even take a serious look at the donor car/FFR option today. I originally didn't want the donor car thing due to lack of knowledge/understanding of the kit and the process. You can save a ton of money building a FFR by going stock with donor parts, or you can upgrade and not use donor parts and still be less than a lot of kits. They really do make a quality kit.
I see you are in TX. Carlisle, PA isn't close, but in May they have the annual Kit car show. You can spend a weekend kicking the tires of each manufacturer and meet the people behind the products all under one roof. If you can wait until May to make a decision, it is well worth the trip. The cost of the trip could save you thousands.

Good luck with your decisions