View Single Post
Old 01-30-2004, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hello All...

I just registered on this board because I thought I could provide the good people whose posts I've been reading with some truths, good or bad. I worked for Leisure Industries (parent company of Classic Roadsters and Sugar Sand Jetboats) for several years until 1999. I'm usually all too willing to give a person the benefit of the doubt, but I think the gist of what I have to say is this: Gary Rutherford is a crook.

Some facts and observations about the company:

- The reason for the last change in ownership is that the company was on the verge of declaring bankruptcy (which would have been the second time).

- Gary has some very good people working for him, including some of the people whose names are unfortunately mentioned on this board in a less than positive light. I can say from experience that I was forced by Gary's business practices and sometimes by Gary's direct influence to treat customers/vendors/dealers in a way I was not at all comfortable with (The main reason I quit).

- As long as Gary is still the President, I have no confidence at all that the situation will improve beyond the first obligatory efforts of the "new management".

- Over the years, before the purchase by IMAR, Gary had been encouraged to sell many times. He would never, ever relinquish power unless there was no other option.

- Gary's reputation is Fargo is bad, to say the least. He left a lot of people in very bad situations after Leisure's first bankruptcy. For several years afterward, for example, the biggest boat dealer in Fargo refused to carry the Sugar Sand line because they had been so badly burned. (I believe they're selling them again after the change in ownership.)

It's a sad situation at Classic Roasters, always has been. Mismanagement like you would not believe. Rutherford never allowed anyone to manage (except him), therefore there effectively WAS no management. One thing I can say for Gary is that he's a talented spin doctor. Don't ever trust that he will do anything right by you, the customer. He won't. Man, I feel bad for saying all this, but I feel you all have a right to know about it. Feel free to post questions for me, I'll try to watch the board for a while.