View Single Post
Old 02-01-2004, 03:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default New Cobra on the road for $16,400 !!!

Please note, this is posted in the Aussie forum, so the kit ( including entire divetrain) is not available in the US. At any rate, building a complete turnkey Cobra, including rego, for the equivalent of $12,000USD is amazing.

Following on from the post during the week about build costs within Australia, and everyone generally accepting that any Cobra built for under $30K is doing VERY well, I've found a winner.

At our monthly Qld club breakfast, a newly completed Harrison Cobra arrived. During our breakfast, the owner mentioned that he built the car on a budget. What an understatement

I'm going from memory here, but I believe he bought a complete V6 Commodore and sold the body panels to cover his purchase price. He used everything you could imagine - engine, gearbox, diff, radiator, fan, wiring, suspension, steering. He buffed the red gelcoat, he did his own wiring mods, made and installed the interior, made a really neat quick-release dash, fitted brand new 17" wheels and tyres, got through compliance, registered the car, all for "$16,400 drive away, no more to pay" !!!!!!!!!!!

Who's to say you couldn't do the same with a crashed V8 Commy of Falcon for just a few grand more?

So - apologies from me. I stand corrected about how much you need to spend to get a Cobra on the road in Australia...