View Single Post
Old 02-01-2004, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 4859GT Spyder GT 414W EFI
Send a message via Yahoo to stengun
Not Ranked     

Howdy Demon,

I sure hope you got permission to use the copyrighted material in your post.

Sure, TIG is better in some cases, like on thin Ti and Al, like in the shuttles.

For stuff like thermonuclear reactor they stick weld the parts. I work in a steel mill in the lates '80 that made the caseing for Westinghouse. The U.S. Navy uses Westinghouse reactors. Most subs use S5W (stands for S-sub, 5- 5th model, W-Westinghouse), and the USS Nimitz CVN-68 uses 4 S5W reactors. I served on the Nimitz during the '80 in the Engineering Dept. The only person on board that was quailified to weld on the reactor components was HT2 Fluke. I was friends w/ him and he only welded on the reactor w/ a stick welder. A TIG just doesn't have the power to weld very thick materails.

Sure a TIG is the only wat to go for welding thin 4130, Ti thin Al and most thin steel. It really works great in a welding sho or at welding school. It doen't work very good on a job site when you have to do emergecy repairs, its 2am, 15` f,raining/snowing/sleeting and the wind is blowing at over 30mph. You might as well stick the TIG up you butt because you ain't welding **** w/ it. Break out the stick, do your thing,and get out of the bad freaking weather. Yep, been there done that.

The wind and rain will blow away your gas and that makes it impossible to weld.

Most industrial maintenance dept. have several types of welding machine. We have 5 sticks, 4 TIGs, and 3 wire feed. Plus 4 gas welders/torches and a plasma cutter. They all have its use/purpose.

Ok, back to my orginial question...."where's the NON-truth?".

Paul
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)