View Single Post
Old 02-09-2004, 01:12 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

Dear Drew,

I would love to see this shoot out.

Some thoughts to keep the shoot out realistic.

In the interest of engine life, limit the valve lift to maybe .600 inches. How realistic is it for the winning engine to have a full on roller cam with so much lift that the engine requires constant maintenance? For this same reason I would limit the cam shaft to a solid, hydraulic, or maybe a hydraulic roller. Also to make this shoot out more realistic limit the RPMs to 6,500.

I think the E-brock Performer RPM head (6008) is a more appropriate head for this shoot out. I would also allow the Shelby head. Why restrict the valve size? This is an easy mod for the money. I think the old iron tunnel ports and high risers but not SOHC should also be allowed.

The dyno runs be made using a real Cobra exhaust system with and with out mufflers.

I would also like to see a maximum engine height rule to limit the use of tunnel rams. I think that the engine should be capable of fitting under the hood of a Cobra. I would also like to see this event limited to a single carb. But dual fours sure look nice.

No nitrous oxide, or supercharging.

Since this is to represent a street engine, the winner should be based on “area under the curve” instead of peak power.

Why have the “loser” pay for another engine builders build? Whoever the engine builder is will have invested a lot of money just to be to the shoot out. The publicity alone will make the event worth winning.