View Single Post
Old 02-09-2004, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I've owned several black cars in my day (still have a black 540I) and there really is nothing like them WHEN THEY ARE CLEAN. Keeping them clean..........well, that's another story. You can't back out of the driveway without a layer of dust covering the car. Of course, this layer of dust would be on ANY car (it's not like the black cars attract more of it!), but you simply see it a lot more on black than anything else. Get yourself a California duster (and shake out the duster with every pass over the car) and also some Speed Shine from Griot's Garage and a VERY soft cloth. This will help keep the car clean between washes. Keeping a good coat of wax on it is the key, and using some Liquid Ebony once in awhile will help with the swirls. Get a nice car cover as well.
I think a lot has to do with the paint job. I have a buddy with a solid black SPF that's 4 yrs old and it looks as good as the day he bought it. He takes real good care of it, but he's no "waxer" by any means. I think he has over 9000 miles on it. On the other hand, I've seen black cars from other mfgrs, with less miles than my friends car, that look like they washed it with a SOS pad. Swirls and spider cracks all over the place. Whoever you buy from, make sure they do a quality paint job (especially important if you go black).
Don't they say..........Once you go black, you never go back? Well, my car is Indigo........BECAUSE I've done the black thing and didn't want the hassle on the Cobra. It's not a car I want to have to wash all the time!
One a side note........If you get the chance, park a solid black (or any dark color) Cobra right next to another Cobra (any color) WITH stripes. Step back and take a look at them facing the front of the cars. The solid colored car looks about a foot W I D E R than the striped car. I just think the solid black Cobra looks mean as hell.........I simply didn't want the chore of keeping it clean.

Last edited by TerrysSPF; 02-09-2004 at 08:56 PM..