Thread: Era 377
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2004, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Hoppy:

I guess I have been chasing my motormania dreams and fantasies a long time. I have been fortunate that my wife of almost 30 years understood from day one that this was part of the package that she was taking on. Perhaps it was the fact that years ago, when we were first dating I owned (one of several) Lotus Europas. Often the car was dead (Lucas!) when we went to get in to it to start out on a date. Inasmuch as she couldn't reach the pedals, she (all of about 105 lbs) pushed as we jump-started our way out of the parking lot. Thus, the existence of some automotive work in progress has been a constant in our lives for almost three decades.

This past year I finally got around to building my dream garage. Nothing fancy, just a 30x36 metal building... but she knows that it's my sanctuary and always knocks and seeks permission to enter. The balance is that I have always been there for her and that is as it should be. I count myself extraordinarily lucky to have found a partner in life that understands. Unlike many spouses, she is not jealous of, nor threatened by this passion of mine. My only regret is that she won't ride in the FIA; too noisy, too windy and "everyone is looking at you." So, she drives the chase car.

My wish for anyone who pursues an interest such as ours is that his or her spouse comes to understand and support the dream.

Jim

PS: Both of my big block cars were 428s (one a 428CJ). I took a friend for a ride once and when we got back he said, "Ya know Jim, I haven't felt acceleration like that since I got shot off the carriers in the 50's when I was in the Navy." On the street, 428s are the way to go.

Last edited by Jim Holden; 02-12-2004 at 07:26 AM..