Thread: Insurance
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2004, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1696, 427 Shelby aluminum 462 stroker from Southern Automotive. 1967 GTO and a '98 'Vette. Life is good.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Too Many Steves?

Steve:

It wasn't my intent to give the impression that insurance companies will try to "weasel" out of paying if the claim is legitimate. And, as a retired state trooper, I recognize the role of an investigator is to find the the truth (or attempt to) and pass those findings along to others who are the real "decision-makers".

I do believe, however, that many insurance companies may be more prone to take a second (or third) look at a claim where there is the potential for an unusually large payout. Like cases where their client has been involved in a crash that resulted in serious injury or death and a future BIG lawsuit is a foregone conclusion. Certainly, the initial adjuster's suspicions play an important part in "red flagging" such claims.

I also believe that most insurance companies will not hesitate to pay a reasonable claim as long as they cannot prove there was a policy violation. But, if there is reason to think there was a policy violation, they will go after your proverbial throat. Like sharks and blood.

My real point of that rather lengthy dissertation was that the guys who think they can get away with not meeting the conditions of their policies (whatever they may be) will probably be unpleasantly surprised if and when they ever file a claim. In truth, all the things they think can never be enforced are really pretty easy to check.

If it were not so, there would be no insurance companies.

Best Wishes,

"There ain't nuthin' fun about havin' money in the bank."

"If I were smarter, I'd probably know a lot more."