Thread: Insurance
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 05:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Steve,
Sorry. It's hard to project intent on a keyboard. My response was not at all meant to be sarcastic. It really was insightfull. Most people don't even know we Investigators exist. Well...not until they have to deal with us. I was impressed you knew about us and what we do. But if you are a retired trooper, I'm sure you've spoken to us in the past.

All the nitty gritty of it is very detailed and would takes pages to explain, so I'll spare the boredom. In a nutshell, each insurance company is different in how they do it. For example, in my company, I am the decision maker. I do the investigation, and with the approval of my supervisor, it is my decision to pay, deny or otherwise. Some companies are set up like us, others are not. Some have their investigators do the legwork and turn it over to the decision makers you describe. But from all the companies I have spoken to, and I've spoken to pretty much all the big ones, I don't know of any of them that refer a file on the basis of a large exposure alone. When a huge exposure is there, it is followed by management. And truthfully, if there is a policy violation, it does not always mean coverage denial. Again, it's complicated, but it depends on the violation. Some violations are deemed irrelevant to the claim and therefore would not be enforced.

If you're a retired trooper, you sould keep your eyes out. As you said, many insurance companies hire guys like you (my boss is a retired Philly homicide guy..he was pretty high up in rank).

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.