View Single Post
Old 02-17-2004, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Several
Not Ranked     

Many attempts have been made to reforge the original links between AC and SA. All to no avail in the past because certain ancient and curmudgeonly parties tried but couldn't wrest singular control of the enterprise.

AC Cars, Ltd. were cut off as a supplier, rather summarily at that, because Shelby took FORD's offer of cash and willingly dropped the ball in play. Bailed is an apt word. FORD made it clearly known that it wanted nothing from Shel but Le Mans winning, which was bot and delivered, as it should be.

But, FORD didn't want the Cobra to get in the way of the Shelby Mustang line, which some at FORD hoped would florish. When it sort of petered out, as the cars gained corporate weight (and wait), FORD dropped that also. Never made mondy.

The Shelby 500's to me look like they were fed to death compared to the 350's

Actually, if FORD was listening, they could do worse than to build a new GT350, rather than waste their corporate marketing impressions on the GT40, which is bound to go nowhere.

Some feel that what made the original 1964 and 1/2 Mustang's image take-off was the availability of the 271 hp HiPo version with the 4 speed tranny.

When they came in to see it, they also bot the cheaper versions. Only the wimps bot the 6 cylinder auto version. Have you seen Billy Klintoon's car in the museum in Arkansas? 6 cyl auto, I kid you not!!!

But, a new and proper GT350 Mustang would require another deal with Shel', and they only have so much patience. When he is gone, watch this space for a new GT350 "memory car", with a serious 351 350HP, paddle shifter, etc. Give his kids some money and make donations to the heart fund...

Ask me for the details...scratch, scratch...
No kidding, this is really a good idea...

It is no secret out of school that Shelby fought tooth and nail to prevent the kit makers from surviving, fortunately to little avail. But a few were hurt by his machinations. Isn't copying the best sort of praise? I always thought so. There was and is, no copywritten shape or trademarks other than "Cobra".

And that Cobra word was bot by FORD from Shel', perhaps in 1966 or 1967. AC Cars. Ltd. had the use outside the USA or was it N. America? I forget.

You remember above that we detailed at lengh about AC Cars, Ltd. continuing to make some great Cobras for quite a few years after Shelby had been put out to pasture in Kenya?

Well, when Brian caused the MarkIV to come to life, there was another attempt, through FORD, to rebuild the SA distribution/support/something. Efforts were rebuffed summarily with serious lip and lectures about parentage.

FORD made it clear that there was no need for old Shel' anyway. He was foolin' around with Chrysler again. (Remember the Tiger's purchase by Chrysler?)

Brian went to town (actually Brooklands at Weybridge) and built lots and lots of them. Actual certified cars...not kits. Just exactly how many is not perfectly clear to me, but let's say over 400. Not bad for a little British cottage company?

Others here can explain how the US distribution operations we met with mixed success. But, no were left over...quite unlike the 427 Cobras at the end of 1967...sitting out on the ramp waiting for a home...

Anyway, this is not sour grapes, I was not an investor. I still love em all, and also have great respect for the kit guys who, as Peter Brock rebuked CS on the public stage one day said, "...kept the flame burning... without your help..."

Just consider this the ramblings of an old man that paid the full price of admission in the day, got the ride of my life in exchange, seriously warped my brains as a result, have strong views that might run counter to prevailing wisdon and haven't yet bot the T-shirt because I still have the one that came with one of the cars from the dealership.

------------------------------------------
Aside:
Lubinsky et al screwed themselves in the foot by only buying the listed assets of AC Cars, Ltd, rather than the entire company, including its liabilities and keeping the original name going. Several of us watched him think he was so swift, but he screwed himself and the workers out of the grandfather clauses of the British Type Certificates, German certificates and EU rights and lost the right to sell legal cars. FORD had every legal right to withdraw the Cobra name, because AC Cars, Ltd. was gone baby.

Lub et al could have bot excess lines insurance to cover any unknown liabilities, but he wouldn't listen to anyone...particularly any associated with the old factory...dumb move.

He turned AC Cars Group, Ltd. into a kit maker! Good grief!

Whle the factory lied regularly about what was happening on the financial side, we were all accessing the USA SEC 10K's very detailed financial and structural reports of Pride Automobile, a US public company, who was chosen to take the burden of buying the AC assets from the liquidator, Price Waterhouse, and the Bank. Pride was obliged by US law to be explicit about the results of operations of AC Cars Group, Ltd., and the results drove Price into its own form of receivership and drove us, your faithful readers in paroxisms of variously tears and laughter.

What still surprises me is that the SEC was not perfectly clear about the important fact that Lubinsky kept the AC name in some way all the way through all of this. Sort of like it is an unrecorded asset, of the most valuable sort. I would think the banks and other creditors, including the other stockholders, would see this and take action...but then, I am not a lawyer either...
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington