View Single Post
Old 02-20-2004, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Tom:

My memory cells are churning.
The Cougar II sounds a lot like the Pony Car. Did they give any indication of the engine used? Ours was BDA Cosworth powered.

The Mach II race version was super light. How does 1,750 pounds sound? It was a rocket, what with the power of Bud Moore's 302 and the light weight. The body was so thin the paint couldn't be rubbed out!

As for construction, The Mach 2was semi-moncoque steel for the simple reason that we started with the Mustang sctructure. Used the complete unit body, but cut out the rear section between the "frame rails" to provide room for the engine and transaxle. A bulkhead was added behind the pssenger's comparment along with additional panel and braces. A trunk floor was installed in the original engine bay.

I'm sure the Mach 2C you're referring to is the Shinoda car. I don't think a car was ever built, so it was a dream on paper. That was about the time the "Duece" (Henry Ford II) pulled the plug on all racing programs.

The Duece was so mad about some financial irregularities in the racing program that he had all racing activities stopped immediately. Racing engines, including cammer 427s, were destroyed with sledge hammers and tossed into dumpsters! Black day at Ford.

Be glad for what's going on now. Who would've believe a new "GT40" aka Ford Gt and a new Cobra . . . maybe.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue