View Single Post
Old 02-28-2004, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

My digital cammera is out with my daughter.I ordered the whole wiper assy from Enzo.I now see how the motor and switch operate.The motor has a cam on the gear which I think disconnects a connection inside the motor transmission electric connection.There is a fused but not switched 12V power supplied to motor .That power is connected to the park terminal by the internal cam operated switch.That is wired to terminal #2 on l
Lucas dash wiper switch. When Lucas dash wiper switch is returned to the park position#1 and#2 ( park )are connected. terminals #1 and#7 are allways connected but in park #1 #7 and#5 ( the low speed) is also connected so power goes back to the motor on low speed .The motor runs untill the cam on the large gear comes around and disconnects the 12v from park intrenally in the wiper motor there breaking the power to low speed and the wiper stops.
Now I find there are at least two size gears on the wheel housings(the things that come through body that the wiper arms are on.The small 1.25"diameter gear will make the sweep 117°needed.If it is a 1.45"diameter gear it will only sweep the wipers about 90°.Now you have to relocate pickup point on motor gearplate needs to be relocated closer to the outside of the gearplate to increase the stroke of the cable.I haven't done this part yet .The metal plate is located on and driven by the plastic gear with two square lugs at opposite sides at the outer edges .These look if you were to turn the plate 180° like it will change the park from stopping on an outward stroke or an inward stroke ( park will be either left or right The ERA link above shows it in detail.
I swear the old motor I used on my 56 Bristle had a brass contact strip located on the motor gear.Two contacts(brushes)one 12V the other to low speed.The gap in the contact strip broke the connection stopping the motor at the correct position.I used a simple off-on-on toggle switch.That was an old motor back in 71. They probbaly had gear grease get into the contacts and changed to the new configuration with the cam and elaborate switch.
I'm waiting for the recent order to show up and see what else I need.I'm only redoing can't emagine a complete build.