View Single Post
Old 03-07-2004, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Man, the deeper I get into this motor, the more upset I get. Would the part failure be due to improper installation, correctly installing a worn out part, or???? I looked up a company called Fluidampr that sells a high performance damper. the website explained what the part does and how it is installed. It sounds like it is basically disintegrating, causing the outer ring to rotate slowly? If so, I am amazed it hasn't come apart considering I have driven it a couple of times. It mentioned that the first step is a significant loss of power due to slap.

One comment referenced the timing mark tab/pointer should be in blue or red. My unit appears chrome; the car is pre smog. I looked up the GM parts website and found one for 70-74 350's, part # 12555879, which requires a chromed timing pointer #12341915. My engine block is a 69. More mysteries.

Can you rent/borrow a damper remover/installer tool? Is it tough to replace? Retail for a stock unit looks to be around $210.

Thanks again to all who comment. I feel like I should suck it up and take it in to a mechanic (familiar with hi perf '69 SBC's, not mom's Camry...) to really make sure nothing else is screwed up. I got so burned on the first round (quality and $$ wise) that I am real gun shy. Anybody out there recommend a shop in the Richmond VA area? Sure glad it isn't June, I'd be real P.O.'d. Appreciate all the help...