View Single Post
Old 03-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

Ok lets get by the pop spit....remember pierce is sizing things off numbers in a calc not how they run..I had a disagreement with Mike when setting up a friends BB Setup. I originally from pierce had 40MM and they wanted to put in 42's..forget what they tell you they will also try to get you to drill another progression hole..forget it

Here is what you check and set....and trust me and I think Cal can vouch for it I have done ALOT of tinkering with these things and I finally put it on the dyno the other day to see what it was running and changed the chokes to see what happened...YOU NEED

37MM Chokes, 120 IDLE HOLDERS, 65 IDLES, 200-210 Air Correctors, F7's, 165 Mains (this is just a starting point some tweaking on the mains idles and airs will be needed) and 55 BYPASSES!!!! Have you checked the bypasses? Pierce put 0's in mine since it was a fresh engine and let me tell you its great until you get it under load and then all hell broke loose.

For setting the floats...you can get an idea from looking down in the bowl but to set them correctly and the same you need to disassemble the carb and use the measuring end of a mic to see how far the tongue that hits the needles is from the stem...this should be the same for all carbs....Also if you have the original needles email CALMETAL and get a set of the D&G needles and seats from him...much better and will stop any possibility of leaking through the needles.

Pop spit through the carbs can be lean...but it can also be that you have too much overlap in the cam and your intake and exhaust is open at the same time...remember the carb has no runner to share with other cylinders to suck it back down through...

I had mine on the dyno and with the above setup I was running a lean on the top end over 4000 but it corrected by 6000 and I was running way rich on the idles at 11.5 while cruising...thats why for mine I am going to drop the air corrector to 200's and the idles jets to 60's..and I should be perfect.

Even though its not really rich when I punch it it pulls hard and you won't know you are too lean until you find a melted piston....

Also this is the recommended starting setup from Enzo and CalMetal.

Oh yea are you running any air cleaners on the carbs? If you are then you will never get them set right...those little strainers will cause you to run pig rich no matter what.

Matt
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon