View Single Post
Old 04-07-2004, 10:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No question, the market IS soft. Making a used Cobra at this time an excellent idea. SPF is hard to fault and even in the current market their holding their price well all things considered.

How much would expect to loose on MANY other "exotic" cars? Jaguar for instance? Percentage wise on resale value SPF and other "top shelf" brands are doing remarkably well. The lower end of the market is where the cars are really taking a pounding on re-sale.

For a daily driver, which I STRONGLY recommend for your first replica, go with a small block. 351 in an SPF would be ideal, no need to got the "max" h.p. version etiher. A well built moderate 351 with a five speed is hard to beat for a daily driver! SPF typically comes with a soft top, many replicas don't. You WANT the soft top, heater/defroster and side curtain windows.

Will you like the car after all? Tough call, these are not "user friendly" cars. And "daily driver" could be mis-leading. There not that comfortable, especially compared to almost ANYTHING else.

So,,,,, why do some of us have such a passion for these cars? Many reasons but heres mine. It is the ultimate expression of classic motoring. The epitomy of "performance". The scale by which other performance cars are compared to. It is the "peoples" car. NO OTHER car I've EVER been around has such an amazing impact when parked on the street, or the grocery store or the car show. Your typical exotic car is not always "approachable". OH, expensive car I better not touch, I bet the owner is some big shot, be careful.

For some reason, still leaves me baffled, the Cobras ARE approachable. Everybody, young, old, man or woman, they love this car. People are DRAWN to this car. Park it next to the hottest Ferrari and I gaurentee the Cobra will draw more attention and comments. Go figure!!!

If your not a "people person" do not buy a Cobra! My biggest kick out of owning one (I'm on number three now) has been SHARING it with the masses. Bringing miles of smiles to all who come in contact with the car. I'm STILL amazed by it.

Ernie