View Single Post
Old 04-08-2004, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VICTORY, 92 C.I., belt drive, saddle bags.
Not Ranked     
Arrow OFFICIAL Emissions Testing Procedure

I now have the OFFICIAL answer to this burning question/issue. Here is the summary of numerous emails with the Department Of Ecology, and a nice fellow who knows our plight:

We cannot exempt your car from the emissions testing, but I can use the most lenient standards that are on the books. In 1968 there were few if any emission control devices outside of necessary items such as an air filter or PVC. The 1968 maximums are 900ppm HC and 6.0% CO. It is very rare that a properly built street/performance engine cannot meet those standards.

The way it would work is for you to take your test and fail. Contact me with your readings. If they are below the 1968 maximums I would give you a pass. If not we would try to work out an adjustment strategy to get the emission levels in line with the 1968 standards. The main thing to remember is that emissions and performance go hand in hand, if it seems to run well, it will more than likely pass the 1968 standard. When you get beyond those limits it becomes very noticeable. Keep my number handy. I deal with most of the home-built / kit cars.

Kerry Swayne
ECY NWRO AIR Programs
3190 - 160th Ave SE
Bellevue, WA 98008-5452
425-649-7101
kswa461

So there you have it.

Looks like I'm moving back to Woodinville.

Zderf