View Single Post
Old 04-11-2004, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Hub to Hub face measurement

grumpy,
Thanks for the mail, and now will work through the critical pathways and see what needs to altered or even remade, as below!

mickmate,
I am working with a Holden Torana rack and pinion with lower inner pivot points at approx 25.5" apart (1" further apart than original) I assume the original uses an MGB rack and pinion steering. My setup looks quite original but as mentioned is based around this steering unit, with 3 turns lock to lock, but is very quick with short steering arms!

At this point we are now using 2" dropped special axles, and have a front roll centre about 3" above ground, the rear is higher up, but we haven't got to that yet.
We are now going to look at bump steer and the possibility of moving the lower pickup points inwards about 1" each side to get suitable wheel to body clearance. The top arm is easy as its out about 2" from the bottom and the whole mount can be moved across, if I cant move the lower mount in due to steering issues with bump, then I can shorten the lower arm 1" down to 10.50" and the top arm is now 7.5" (I hate shortening these arms) as what I have read in the past, but.......camber curves with 1" of suspension travel to 1 degree of negative camber might require a short top arm. A good point maybe with the bottom arm is it is below center and going through its travel will lengthen and then shorten a small amount above centre!

I am a learner at car suspension geometry, as you can probably gather, so I am going to stop working on other areas of the car and get this sorted properly.

The 1960's rocked!