View Single Post
Old 04-12-2004, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Hub to hub face measurement.

mickmate,

The almac is a good kit and a good compromise for road and "sportsman" type racing. I am going to run Goodyear slicks or Hoosiers which are of a less diameter, and being 26.3 - 26.5" this complicates suspension geometry etc, and I am going for 4.5" chassis clearance front and 5" rear, because with the different spindles I have just imported gives me good roll centers etc, but I am getting heaps of bumpsteer.

My setup is based on the Holden Torana XUI/L34 setup, but uses Holden HQ spindles and Torana 3.25 turns steering rack with shortened steering arms, the setup looks very much like an original Cobra, but very much like an ERA with 4X3 rhs box section, which we are once all the front and rear wishbones etc are altered to firstly suit Trigo knock off wheels and sort geometry we are going to reduce main rails to 3X3 rhs and fit a chrome moly backbone much like a Cobra coupe linking all the suspension points. We are going to make a jig to hold all the relevant points and then get a Plasma cutter etc.

This is probably going to put my project back a year but handling is paramount before horsepower in race cars years ago we didnt know any suspension issue apart from castor camber and changing shocks and springs, this time its geometry and getting a suitable compromise.

The car has T/bird rear end with the H type suspension, this is going to get a once over with refabricated arms and a proper rose jointed top wishbone with anti-sqaut built in instead of a single strut with a wide bearing as it has now. The chassis will be lighter than it is, stiffer and hopefully will turn in nice and have good driveability, but its still a road car first.

The 1960's rocked!