View Single Post
Old 04-16-2004, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy Need help with Toploader clutch fork problem!

I have a Toploader transmission in my Cobra, the tag says HEH-E 013563, as far as I know this means 1964 Meteor/Fairlane/Sunbeam Tiger 289cui 4V, close ratio, 25-1/2" trans with 28 spline shaft.

When I bought it it had already been outfitted with a Lakewood stainless steel bellhousing, besides this there was a hydraulic slave cylinder mounted to the trans.
First I installed a new master and slave hydraulic clutch cylinder from a BMW, this resulted in a pedal that was near impossible to depress. Next I tried a Mercedes master and slave cylinder, the clutch pedal was still very hard to depress. I tried several master and slave cylinder combinations without a real success.

I have now installed a longer clutch pedal for more leverage and a 88' Mustang clutch cable. Things are a little better now, but it still takes a lot of force to engage the clutch.

I think the problem is the clutch fork. Are there any differences in clutch fork lengths between different toploader applications? What clutch fork do I have to look for to get more leverage at the transmission?

I also know the clutch fork that came with my toploader was intended for use with a mechanical clutch linkage. Was there any additional leverage created by the old mechanical clutch linkages that were used in the 60's Ford cars? This would explain the problems I have...

The previous owner had the trans in his 650hp 32' Roadster and he told me he changed to an automatic because the car would lift the front tires with the close ratio toploader every time he launched and he is getting too old for this. I think the real reason is the car was near undrivable because of the high clutch pedal effort.

I really appreciate any help with this as I have tried so much now to reduce clutch pedal effort and nothing really worked

Thanks,

Simon