View Single Post
Old 04-18-2004, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Over the years at Excalibur we all had some good times there!

I really enjoyed building those cars....I was a line worker that worked all the assembly stations....I spent most of the time in "final test" where each car was driven around 50-100 miles total. I did also help out with some of the work on the 32-V 4.6 Cobra but,all of the work I did on it was after regular Cobra production was over....

In fact, the hood design on the 32-V Cobra was brought to the design guys by me.....They were considering a "cowl type" hood for the 32-V Cobra but, I told them that a "cowl hood" was not really in keeping with the Shelby Cobra traditional look most Cobra owners would want?

I thought a hood that would be fitting to the Cobra look and still get the added height to clear the tall intake on a 4.6 DOHC would be one like the Shelby Cobra 427 Twin SuperChraged cars used?

I brought in a issue of a Musclecar Review magazine I had that had the Shelby 427 Twin Blown car artical and they design team really liked the look of the hood it used and decided to make the 32-V 4.6 Excalibur Cobra hood just like it.....

In the 32-V 4.6 Cobra hood layout process I knew that they had made the right choice and I was glad I suggested that style hood for the car.....that "cowl hood" would have really been a mistake I think......

I did take a ride by the Excalibur factory about a week ago...they were about 1/2 done with the knock down and it was pretty sad to see that place going away.....I still "keep in touch" with the guys I worked with there......I know where about 75% of the the old line workers are today......we were a good team that made some pretty neat cars......