Old 04-24-2004, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by RallySnake

Wilf,

I have to take exception to one thing you wrote: "There are no significant differences in weight, size, or performance characteristics between a Ford and a Chevy sb." The Ford small block (289/302) is about 2 inches narrower than the Chevy small block and the header pipes angle downwards at a much lower angle. This makes it much easier to fit in a Cobra's engine bay and gives much more room for maintenance. The forward distributor is also much easier to work on. Ford V8's also are designed with longer connecting rods (6.125" VS 5.7") which have a positive effect on power. If the cylinder heads, displacement and compression are the same, the Ford engine will theoretically make more power.

Those are the best reasons to use the Ford engine. If my "replica" Ford engine ever breaks, I will build one.

Paul
Ah Rallysnake - apples to apples means that you have to compare the 351w with the Chevy 350. Then the lower deck height/smaller width of the Ford 289/302 doesn't come into it. But I will give you the rest of your points!

Last edited by wilf leek; 04-24-2004 at 05:12 PM..