Thread: Motor Questions
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

I've had both the 302 and the 351. Ask Mr. Mustang here, he's got lots of info. But I do not think the 5.0 in the GT was any different than the one in the LX. It's a good motor, but as Roscoe said, I'd recommend starting with the 351W. If you're looking for 350 hp, the 351W can do that easily without any kind of stress. You can then push it further up the hp scale easily if you want. Yes, performance parts are plentiful for the motor. Nothing wrong with the 302, it was a great motor, but I'm very happy now with my 351. Only a few extra pounds for lots more torque. I don't think you'll have a problem with the trans. When we swapped my motor, I kept the same T5 trans that was bolted to the 302. Bought a new heavy duty clutch (I don't remember about the flywheel, to be honest), but it basically bolted up and went.

My car is like Arts'. Roughly the same power, and the car goes like hell. You'll have to chose carb vs. injection, as that is like debating what color is everyones' favorite. I went with the carb...cheap and easy to maintain.

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.