View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley, all aluminum 540 ci chevy
Not Ranked     
Default Ford v Chevy

My turn at the whipping post. I have an all aluminum 760 dyno'ed horsepower 540 c.i. big block Chevy that cost me less than $12 g to screw together. I have had this car to exactly one neighborhood cruise since it was finished and had two serious offers from other idiots like me who could care less if the power comes from Ford or Chevy. I am absolutely positive that I could sell this car for more than a lot of cars with Ford engines in them. I am not in the least worried about resale value. When I was deciding on the engine make I initially thought Ford-then after pricing both Ford and Chevy apples to apples and finding the Ford about $6k more to build-I decided to go with the "Chevy". I bracket "Chevy" because it really isn't a Chevy but rather a World Merlin lite block and Ray Franks profiler heads using a Comp Cams valve train. There are no Chevy parts on my engine. One side note to the poster who thinks longer rods are an advantage over shorter rods-this notion is a popular misnomer. The theory is that longer rods afford more dwell time and this may be true, but the power difference in a real engine is nonexistent. I am an old stock eliminator drag racer and I have investigated every posible way to make a stock-type engine more powerful. Rod length matters zero(I know I will get an arguement but probably not from someone with a lot of real practical knowledge). WHIP AWAY!!!