View Single Post
Old 05-18-2004, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     

I like Windsors too; but I bet I could build nearly two comparable power-making big blocks for the cost of a single aluminum 427 windsor. And, I'd be willing to bet the longevity of a stock stroke 429 versus the long-stroke 427W could become a factor over time as well. I have a lot of 408 and 427W customers that have lost the pistons in under 50K miles. That stroke is hard on parts.

My engine isn't over the front axle. Which cobra kit car puts the engine over the front axle? That would be less than optimal. In a west coast cobra, the front of the engine is a full foot (or more) behind the front axle centerline.

And 100-150lbs is no big deal; especially for straight line, silver state, pony express, and the like... (which is primarily what I care about); and the plant I've built will make anywhere from 800-1100 at the tires (using a production block and crank); so I'm not too worried about 100-150lbs. In fact, I pulled at least 100-150lbs out of the transmission when I converted to the 6-spd from the C6 that this car was designed with...so it's a wash.

I'm expecting about 13-15% drivetrain loss. Viper transmission; G-Force gearset; manual 6spd.

I have dyno tuned and driven 500+hp cars on a weekly basis for over 7 years now and they have become normal. I wanted to build something way over the top...this ought to do it. I now have the ability to produce anywhere from about 430rwhp to 1100 just by messing with pulleys and blow-off valves. I'm certain it won't stay above 700rw for long before I decide I've had enough.

Byron