View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Damn it, I hate to be wordy but you all are forcing me to be - which you all may live to regret, as I am sure that I am about as incapable of being wordy as a 427 is in dusting off a 289 on a tight smooth race track.

Trevor -

I realize that I am a few clicks behind you when it comes to making my point but please don't misunderstand what I was attempting to say - I am in total agreement with you regarding the differences between sb's and bb's. My point was more toward what the American Cobra buying public is willing to pay for.

Not to demean (my own choice either) but there are some pretty adolescent reasons out there for buying a 427 vs a 289. I would bet that there are even a few 427's out there that have way too much in the engine compartment and barely enough in the braking, suspension, and drivers compartments. I can look to myself in at least one of these areas - I am positive that my almost 500 cubic inch aluminum engine has about 350 more horsepower then I can safely use on the street, limited not only by by the suspension but my lack of experience in street racing one of these beasts. I also have a Lotus 7 knock off so I do have something to compare....although I must say the Cobra is at least 10 times more comfortable then that 7 will ever be!

What'saCobra-

Again, the point I was making, that few seemed to get, was that no matter how nice a driver, or how much faster, or cooler running, or better handling, a small block is then a big block, most of the Cobra buyers in the USA will opt for the fire breathing big block. Why? I suppose there are a number of reasons, main ones being things like the road test that Car&Driver ( a piss poor rag, IMO) did of a 427 back in 1966 which quickened the pulse of every 14 - 40 year old male out there. I know it made me lust after something beside a female for the first time. Some other cars that I lusted after in the day where the Nickey Chevrolet Can Am car that Road and Track tested (if I remember correctly it did the 50-70 move in 6 tenths of a second - could that be right?) and the Fiat Abarth OT 1600 (0-60 in 4.3 sec back in 1965 or something...incredible!) In any case, I am off track here. Other reasons why a small block doesn't have the same level of desire here in the USA - again my opinion - is the shock and awe, obnoxiousness factor. Every rube has to ask...."is it a big block?" In the USA, sadly, there is only one correct answer to that question. I am reminded of boxing - watching a heavyweight contest between Tyson and whomever vs watching Hagler and Hearns....there is no question which is the better fight but the public flocks to watch the big guys battle.

Regarding cigarette lighters on motorcycles - I think Turk has one on his Harley, so apparently, on a lighter note, these aren't quite as useless as you make out!

Nikbj68 -

I wasn't referring to you when I made my "flailing" comment! I am enjoying watching you valiantly trying to keep this thread on track though!

It's all good.

Pat Buckley