View Single Post
Old 07-11-2004, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Thanks

Hmmm... I feared this might be the case. Maybe I will look into rejetting and reworking the secondary system in the 600's. The last 1850 I had was on a 1.2 liter rotary engine. (I only rail about being over carburated I didn't say I never did it) I just hated that carb. Not for what it was, but what I needed to do to it to make it work. It worked really well after a ton of trial and error. I got almost 150 hp per liter out of that 12a rotary. Now every time I see an 1850 I think about it. It was still a 188 hp 2400 pound car, that was double the factory HP.

I actually have already bought a pair of these carbs from a racer who ran them on an FE and had them reworked for road racing, air horns milled, rejetted etc. I was a little leary of the 50cc (x2) accelerator pumps going off at once. Who knows maybe I can make them work with 30cc pumps to get the thing to be more managable off idle. Probably not.

I got them thinking the WOT would be impressive and it will be I'm sure. He's got 76 jets in them now and that seems really large. I was thinking 68's too. I'm wondering whether your flooding during cornering and braking isn't due to the fuel level being a bit high. Thats a common problem with road racing carbs. There are baffles that you can install in the bowls to stop it if lowering the fuel level creates a starvation problem.

I too was inspired to buy these for the bad boy factor. I wish Holley would produce more carbs without choke assemblies, these don't have chokes but the hir horns being milled off really sealed the deal.

They are expensive new almost $600 each. I got this reworked pair, freshly rebuilt, refinished etc. inc. shipping for $485.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Last edited by SCOBRAC; 07-11-2004 at 01:50 PM..