View Single Post
Old 07-13-2004, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have had a pair of 660's on my race 289 (.060" over) and they ran great, so I'm not sure (or I haven't experienced) about the not overcarbing a motor. I can't remember what we ran up front, but I think they were in the 68-72 range. The car was a '69 R-code Mach I and had a Jerico, 5.67 gears, 9x30 slicks, weighed 3000#. The motor had a Offy 360 T/R, full roller, 12.7:1 TRWs, '69 351w heads, aluminum rods and cast crank. Launched @ 6400 and shifted and crossed the line at 8000. I was told that was the best induction setup for a drag 289/302 (660's and Offy 360) and I can't say I was given bad info as the car ran 11.08@119.

One piece of advice I was given when shopping for 660's was to look for unmodified carbs. I understand milling the horns off does more harm than good on these carbs (from what I've heard). I was also told to make sure the linkage hadn't been modified to where it was no longer 1:1 and to check for sloppy throttle plate shafts. I bought a pair of stock carbs for $400 back in '94. I plan on sending them to Pro Systems after I get my 390 stroker built for my '63 Fairlane NSS car.

I really don't know nothing from nothing when it comes to carbs, all I can say was this was the situation I had, what advice I was given, and that it worked for my application. I've also heard that the 660's aren't that great for a street car. They should work great on my FE for a drag only car though and I think is probably the prefered carb for a drag application. They may end up in stock form on a 489" Shelby blocked drag motor that has run 8.4xs with a single 4bbl (1050 I think) in a '64 Falcon. Right now intake is preventing that from happening I believe.

Larry