View Single Post
Old 08-10-2004, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 148 with 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Ole SPF148 took her first tow truck ride

Was driving along after going to get an oil filter to change the oil in old 148 and she gave it up right in 5 o'clock traffic on one of the main streets in town and I was stuck in the center turn lane. Was a mess getting a truck to get her home (I don't have the typing energy to tell you what happened, but took mulitple truck attempts). Anyway, when we got her home 2 thing were apparent. One, the clear fuel filter was bone dry. Nothing in the line to the carbs, so we threw some down the throat of the carbs and she fired right off for a few seconds and quit. Check fuel to the pump...good there. So....off comes the pump. Sure enough, the rod that connects the diaphragm to the "arm" that rides on the cam has sheared off. Problem diagnosed. No name on the pump and just wondering if you guys had any advice on replacement brand and what volume pump I should look for? I am running 2X4 set up. It is a mechanical pump, 427 SO. Any tips or tricks on the change out?

Second thing....I developed a leak of some type of oil based fluid, very clear/yellow. Thought maybe break fluid and when I found where the SPF resevoir (sp?) was, I was horrified...how do I get to that to check the brake fluid level?

Second thing I thought about was hydraulic throw out bearing. I have never messed with one of those and don't know anything about it. Where is the fluid stored and how does the whole system circulate or work? I don't even know if I have one or not...how can I tell. Any other suggestions on what the fluid could be? Obviously, I haven't tried to run the fluid thing down as I was planning on working on the car tomorrow...now I have more to do than an oil change.

Thanks for all the help. Stranded is no fun.

Buzz