Thread: Kablooey!
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2004, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley, all aluminum 540 ci chevy
Not Ranked     

JP,
I am a diesel mechanic. I have put dozens of new liners into motors that have had the coolant neglected. The corrosion eats right through the cylinder walls. Seeing is believing. Admittedly, most Cobras have varying degrees of cooling inadequacies due to the size limits for the radiator and fan. Mine is no different. I did not mean to say that your car is incorrect in any way. If straight water works for you and you are satisfied then okie dokie. I will address some of your points for the benefit of others. You are correct that water is aprox 30% better heat transfer agent than Evans. However, in a 50-50 mixture with glycol and water the difference is much less-maybe as little as 10%. Very few people use straight water in an adequately sized cooling system. The only ones I have ever seen were bandaiding other problems. A 50-50 60-40(40 being the glycol) mix does an excellent job as a coolant and preservant and for many people is the only way to go. You will have to flush and fill your system every two years or so. Point 2. Distilled water becomes undistilled almost immediately upon circulating in an iron block. You will have electrolysis damage unless you use some kind of anode in your system. Drain some of the water out of your engine and hook your multi-meter back up and see what happens. Point 3. I was a drag racer for many years and I did not ever see anyone use Evans coolant in any drag race vehicle. I don't know why Evans developed this stuff but he did not get rich on drag racers. Most used plain old water that they drain and refill after every run. Now, many use a closed system with an electric fan and waterpump which they allow to run after they shut the motor off. Maybe they have Evans coolant in some of them but, again, I don't know of any personally. Drag motors are not designed to run very hot . In fact, they make more power when just barely warm than when hot. I never left the starting line with a coolant temp over 120 degrees. Alchohol and nitro motors use no coolant at all as they are not running long enough to build up any appreciable heat. Drag engines will run hot if left running as their cooling systems are undersized purposely to save weight. One more thing, new synthetic oils are made to withstand much more heat than you are talking about without any problem. I will stand by my opinion that a engine with a properly sized cooling system using Evans coolant and a quality synthetic oil will last much longer than an engine using straight water with an additive. -Bob