View Single Post
Old 08-17-2004, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

First I want to say, CompCams solid rollers are pure pieces of chit. I've lost 2 engines the last 2 yrs with less than 2,000 miles and CC could care less. Their response was the lifters were designed to last 800 miles, so 2,000 miles is great. After doing a winter of research, the best solid roller lifter on the market is Crower. They have a pressurized oil system to the roller, and after 2,000 miles the lifters are just as they were new.

Cracker, your spring rates only need to be high if your running long duration, high lift solid roller. otherwise not much more than stock will be fine. I was using 630 lbs open pressure and Crower said there would be no problem with their lifters. Of course the cam had .667 lift and 264 duration @.050...have since put in new cam to bring usful rpm range down and actually am making more power now. Spings now are about 350 lbs open. I also can still turn 7500 rpm without and valve problems. I also only use the springs for 2 yrs...after the first year, I switch the intakes and exhaust with each other, since the intake is taking more of a load because of the weight of the valve. Even after 2 years the springs have lost less than 5% of their original pressure.

Almost all the T/F and Funny Car teams use Crower lifters, so that is something to say about them. Crower's aren't cheap, 700.00 for a set of lifters, but much cheaper than rebuilding an engine. BTW I run the .874 bore Ford lifter, because it has more surface area.

Last edited by Hotfingrs; 08-17-2004 at 10:34 AM..