View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bernie,

I live in Avon (just west of Indy). Funny thing abou the word "Hoosier" is that nobody here really knows its origin. Popular consensus is that its root is the large number of german immigrants that settled in the Indiana area (particularly in the South). They say that when visitors arrived, they would call out "Who's Yer?". Supposedly, word spread about the German people in Southern Indiana and they were referred to the "Whosyers" or as we know it today the "Hoosiers".

Thats my history lesson for the day. Of course, I moved here a little over a year ago from the Chicago area, but this is how it has been explained to me a couple of times.

Working in Machine Tool Sales, I frequent the Evansville area quite a bit. There is some good manufacturing activity nearby with Whirlpool, Toyota and a good deal of other manufacturing....but most importantly, Wolf's Barbecue! (good stuff...) I am about 2 1/2 hours away, but that isn't too bad. I put about 40,000 miles a year on my 2003 Ford Taurus so if there is anything I'm used to doing its sitting in a car!