View Single Post
Old 09-05-2004, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Cameron.. I did my own wiring.

Mainly for the reasons Pete has pointed out. I've seen some pro wiring jobs that were shockers so elected to do the main wiring myself using one of the available looms.

I used a Painless 12 circuit harness kit which uses the GM colour codes but Ron Francis has a kit which uses ford colour codes.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/catalogframe.htm

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.as...FRANCIS_WIRING

It took me one weekend and a few nights during the week to install and dress up the wiring.

Now I have electrics which I know backwards....are totally hidden and better than a pro job.

I know it's better than a pro job because a neighbour who is an auto elec. ( He offered to do mine for just cost of parts) looked at my install and said there was no way could he invest the time in achieving the results I did.

When I say wiring...I mean all the lights, switches, indicators etc. I do not mean anything to do EFI....that I will leave to the experts.

For what it's work....Painless start at the supplied fuse box ( all wires attached ) then you work out to the lights etc...whereas the Ron Francis loom you start at the ends and work back to the fuse box.

I bought all the switches etc prior to getting the kit so was ready to go when the loom kit arrived.

Ohh..and I soldered all the termainals instead of using crimps.

Really was quite easy, just follow the colours...The total cost of the wiring ( loom, switches etc) was about $700.00 to $750.00

Just something to consider.

Ohh.....and surprise surprise...it all worked first time.

Cheers