View Single Post
Old 09-06-2004, 10:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

DonC, good point about the oil temp, I'm still trying to "analyze" the failure.

I'm with you Ron61, I've about had it with tempermental high strung motors. But this one sure was fun, dam that horse power IS addictive! Flat tappets this time around.

Excellent observations Rick and good questions. I to wonder if the broken shaft came first! The push rod is toast, I shut it down immediatly after I heard the "bang", the damage looks very contained at this point.

I did not see a groove in the STOCK lifter bore. 427 side oiler can't run hydraulic so solid is the only option without serious machine work. I don't plan on "pulling the engine" at this point, simply "clean up" and replace cam and lifters. POSSIBLY pull the heads and replace the pistons with dished to lower the compression (currently 12.5 to 1).

No specs on the cam but it IS way radical. I recently had the heads off and down to the machine shop for "cleaning up". Check spring height, replace valve seals, check stem clearance, etc. The TRIPLE springs are SO stiff the machinist could NOT use his normal air powered spring removal tools. He had to fabricate a hand tool to compress the springs!

I usually shift at 6000, but occasionally take it to 6500, which is where it was when it "blew". Rev limit set at 6750, I HAVE bounced off the limit a few times!

I JUST installed a couple of rebuilt Holleys and the motor had never run so "sweet", man it was pulling like a frieght train and smooth as silk, well,,,, right up until the last moment anyway! I could "loose" a 100 horse and not miss it, at 667 horse all ready it did have "enough".